Formerly known as Paddock Place, Mangiamo!, was constructed during the lumbering boom of the mid-1800s when Grand Rapids was a fledgling city and furniture manufacturing was just beginning to thrive. Lumberman, Augustus Paddock had the present structure built in 1873 or 1874. Prior to his move to Grand Rapids, Paddock was instrumental in bringing the railroad to Newaygo County and he provided leadership in several community positions there. Melvin J. Clark and his wife Emily, later residents of Paddock Place, made an impact in Grand Rapids through various ventures in the grocery and lumber businesses and made many benevolent gifts to the community including the Grand Rapids Art Gallery. Architecturally, Paddock Place remains one of few examples of nineteenth-century Italianate design east of the center city Heritage Hill National Register District. The structure's early twentieth century modifications and addition, were designed, in part, by Robinson and Campau an architectural firm which was responsible for numerous significant buildings in Grand Rapids and throughout Michigan. In 1941, the house was sold to the Order of Franciscans and became known as St. Bernadine's Friary.